Deaconess provides various student nursing opportunities for the development of future nurses.
Deaconess Student Nurse Academy
Deaconess is proud to introduce the Student Nurse Academy to the tri-state’s nursing students. The Academy is an innovative program designed to give students in various levels of their nursing program experience to develop skills and confidence as they progress through their schooling.
Qualifications and Requirements
Candidates for the Student Nurse Academy Program must
- Be in good standing and currently enrolled in an accredited (ACEN or AACN) RN school of nursing and have a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher.
- Submit a current, official school transcript before start date in the program.
- Apply for the position on our Careers page, complete the screening process and interviews.
After completing a job application or internal transfer application for the position, you will be sent a Student Performance Evaluation Form to be given to/completed by a recent faculty instructor. If there is no clinical instructor, then the most recent classroom instructor fills out the form.
Benefits of the Program
- Academy student nurses will have secured temporary employment with more hours during the summer months and limited hours during the school semesters.
- Flexible scheduling during the summer and school year – day, evening, night, and weekend shifts available.
- Financial compensation with rates that increase as the student progresses through the program.
- If the student is offered and accepts a Graduate Nurse Technician position, they will accrue seniority and PTO (Paid Time Off) rates based on time period in the academy.
- Students gain experience with patients before clinical rotations, increase comfort level with being in the hospital setting and become confident with basic skills including communicating with treatment team and patients, monitoring vital signs and other duties delegated by licensed RN staff.
- Academy students build relationships with Deaconess staff and make key connections with nursing leadership.
Student Nurse Academy - 2018 Program Dates
Spring Session: January 2nd – March 25th
Summer Session: June 5th – July 31st
Deaconess Nursing Scholarship
The vision of the scholarship program is to identify a selected number of future nursing professionals to promote the profession of nursing and cultivate future nursing leaders within our community. This unrestricted grant is funded by the Deaconess Hospital Foundation and payable to the individual recipient. The scholarship allows recipients to utilize the funds at their discretion to support their successful completion of a degree from an accredited school of nursing.
Graduate Nurse Position
Graduate nurse technician positions are available for students who have graduated but not yet passed the NCLEX exam. Upon licensure, title will change to Registered Nurse while continuing orientation.
Students who are offered this position begin orientation on the nursing unit where they were hired to work. New graduates attend graduate nurse residency classes for their first year and training on the nursing unit.
For more information about these positions, contact Taylor Rexing, Nursing Recruiter at 812-450-2936
, or complete the form below.