Deaconess provides various student nursing opportunities for the development of future nurses.
Deaconess Student Nurse Academy
Deaconess is proud to introduce the Student Nurse Academy to the tri-state’s nursing students. The Academy is an innovative program designed to give students in various levels of their nursing program experience to develop skills and confidence as they progress through their schooling.
Qualifications and Requirements
Upon hire, candidates for the Student Nurse Academy Program must:
- Be in good standing and currently enrolled in an accredited (ACEN, CCNE, or AACN) RN school of nursing
- A 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher is preferred but not required
- Must have completed at least one semester of nursing clinicals in accredited nursing program
- Submit a current, official school transcript and an evaluation form before start date in the program.
Benefits of the Program
- Academy student nurses will have secured temporary employment with more hours during the summer months and limited hours during the school semesters.
- Flexible scheduling during the summer and school year – day, evening, night, and weekend shifts available.
- Financial compensation with rates that increase as the student progresses through the program.
- If the student is offered and accepts a Nursing Graduate position, they will accrue seniority and PTO (Paid Time Off) rates based on time period in the academy.
- Students gain experience with patients before clinical rotations, increase comfort level with being in the hospital setting and become confident with basic skills including communicating with treatment team and patients, monitoring vital signs and other duties delegated by licensed RN staff.
- Academy students build relationships with Deaconess staff and make key connections with nursing leadership.
- Students enrolled in the Student Nurse Academy are eligible for our Student Nurse Academy scholarship once they accept a Nursing Graduate role for after graduation. This scholarship is in addition to the Deaconess Nursing Scholarship we offer (more information on this below).
Student Nurse Academy - 2023 Program Dates
Spring Session: January 2 - March 26
Summer Session: May 22 - July 16
Fall Session: July 31 - October 22
To apply to the Student Nurse Academy, submit an application to the posting on the Careers Page. (Application windows will vary prior to each session).
Deaconess Nursing Scholarship
The vision of the scholarship program is to identify a selected number of future nursing professionals to promote the profession of nursing and cultivate future nursing leaders within our community. This unrestricted grant is funded by the Deaconess Hospital Foundation and payable to the individual recipient. The scholarship allows recipients to utilize the funds at their discretion to support their successful completion of a degree from an accredited school of nursing.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Interested applicants must be entering their final Pre-RN licensure year of nursing education in the fall of 2023, must be in good standing with an AACN, CCNE, or ACEN accredited school of nursing, and must agree to complete the required course work to achieve necessary licensure.
- The scholarship candidate will preferably, at the time of application, have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- The scholarship candidate will graduate either December 2023 or May 2024 and be eligible to sit for boards in 2024.
Benefits of Scholarship
- An amount of $4,000.00 to $8,000.00, is granted to each scholarship recipient to assist with successful completion of his/her nursing curriculum.
- Paid entrance to CPR Certification provided by Deaconess Hospital for school of nursing requirement.
- Paid entrance to one NCLEX Review Class.
- Paid exam fee to one State Board of Nursing Licensure Examination.
- Part time or full time Nursing position at Deaconess Hospital in an inpatient care center.
To apply, please fill out and submit an application. Applications are due March 10, 2023.
For more information about the Student Nurse Academy or the Foundation Nursing Scholarship, please contact Makenzie Davis by email, by phone at 812-450-2360, or complete the form below. You can also contact our Student Nurse Academy Team at StudentNurseAcademy@deaconess.com