Deaconess recommends testing if you currently have symptoms, or if you’ve had direct exposure to a person with COVID-19. If you've had a direct exposure to a person with COVID-19, wait at least 2-5 days from the exposure date to test. Waiting 2 days or longer allows time for the virus to become detectable.
Note: If you are being tested due to an exposure, please schedule your test when you have reached at least 48 hours since exposure--longer is better
. If you test too early, you may not have enough virus in your body to show a positive result, which can lead to a false negative result.
COVID Testing FAQS
How do I get tested?
Patients can schedule their own drive-through test at below, or in their MyChart
accounts, under Find Care Now. You do NOT need a physician's order to be tested. Parents/caregivers of infants under 12 months of age should call the nurse triage line at 812-450-6555
to arrange testing or care.
What is the testing process?
Once you schedule your test, and receive your confirmation, you’ll go to the testing site and follow the signs. A nasal swab will be taken and sent to our lab. We analyze the test in our lab, and have results within 24-96 hours (1-4 days). Patients will receive more information after their test, and are directed to self-quarantine until results come in.
How will I get my test results?
When will my test results be available?
- MyChart will be the fastest way to receive your results, as results will be instantly uploaded to your MyChart account after processing your test, which takes 24-96 hours.
- If you do not yet have a MyChart account, after you schedule your test, check your email for a link and instant activation code to create your free account. You can also sign up for a MyChart account now.
- If you do not set up a MyChart account, you will need to contact your primary care provider after 96 hours for your results.
- If you do not have a primary care provider, you will need to contact the nurse triage line at 812-450-6555 after 96 hours for your results.
- If you are having trouble accessing your MyChart, please call 812-450-HELP.
Your test results will be in MyChart
within 24-96 hours—usually less than that. If you do not receive your results in that time, contact your primary care provider.
How much will my test cost?
We will bill your insurance. Your amount due will be based on your individual plan’s coverage for this test. Some insurance companies are waiving all patient liability (out of pocket costs) for COVID-19 virus testing; others are not, and patients will receive a bill for some or all of the cost of the test. You will need to check with your individual insurance plan by calling the number on the back of your insurance card, or by checking your account on their website.
Patients without insurance will not have out of pocket costs, due to a government assistance program that covers the cost of the test; each patient’s insurance status will be verified after their test.
I have made an appointment for testing but now I need to reschedule or cancel.
- Go into MyChart and open your “Visits” (desktop) or “Appointments” (app) tab.
- Select your upcoming testing appointment.
- Select “Cancel Appt”, the reason for cancelling, and then confirm cancellation.
- If you need a different testing appointment, repeat the original scheduling process.