WATCHMAN™ Provider Resources
The Region’s Only Provider of the WATCHMAN™ Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device Procedure.
Indications For Use
The Heart Hospital’s Structural Heart Program is pleased to offer the implant-based WATCHMAN™ Left Atrial Appendage (LAA) Closure Device procedure. This minimally invasive procedure provides an alternative treatment to long-term anticoagulants for the prevention of stroke in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation.
The WATCHMAN™ device is indicated to reduce the risk of thromboembolism from the LAA in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation who:
What To Expect
- Are at an increased risk for stroke and systemic embolism based on CHADS2 or CHA2DS2- VASc scores and are recommended for anticoagulation therapy,
- Are deemed to be suitable for short-term (at least 45 days), but not long-term, warfarin therapy, and
- Have an appropriate rationale to seek a nonpharmacologic alternative to warfarin, taking into account the safety and effectiveness of the device compared to warfarin.
- Implantation is performed as an inpatient procedure and under general anesthesia.
- It takes about an hour to complete the procedure, which requires transfemoral access and transseptal puncture.
- The patient requires an overnight stay in the hospital (24 hours), and follow-up office visits are required.
- Following the procedure, the patient stays on warfarin for a minimum of 45 days (until endotheliazation of the device).
- When warfarin ceases, clopidogrel is initiated for six months, and the patient remains on aspirin indefinitely.
Referring Physician Brochure
Download the WATCHMAN™ Information Flyer
Physician Referral Form
Our Expert Physician Team
The Heart Hospital’s WATCHMAN™ implant team includes echocardiographers, interventional cardiologists, cardiac electrophysiologists, cardiac surgeons and anesthesiologists. If you have questions, call our structural heart coordinator, Cynthia Ansbro at 812-842-4509.
For additional materials and information visit - Boston Scientific WATCHMAN