Making Walking Part of Your Life
Walking is great for you—both physically and mentally. No matter whether you’re just starting a walking habit, or you have walked miles every day for years, walking helps you be healthier and feel better.
Brisk walking can:
• Help control blood pressure and blood sugar
• Improve your appearance
• Improve your physical stamina
• Improve cholesterol levels—lower bad cholesterol, and raise good cholesterol
• Help with weight loss and weight control
• Improve muscle strength
• Decrease anxiety and depression and improve emotional well-being
• Postpone disability in seniors by several years
• Increase your life span
• Improve your quality of life
Deaconess is a sponsor of many walking-related activities in our community, including:
• Deaconess Healthier U Walks: Saturdays, April – June
• The YMCA Half Marathon, including Jump Start/Team 13 training: summer – early October
Deaconess also sponsors walking paths and locations.
• Eastland Mall 1-Mile Fitness Walk http://www.shopeastlandmall.com/Hours (adding walking hours to this URL, per Sean)
• Deaconess Sports Park Wellness Track – a designated American Heart Association walking path - www.startwalkingnow.org. The Wellness Track also includes six fitness stations spaced along the path, helping you get in a full body workout.
Area walking trails, groups
Deaconess MyHealth articles about walking
Subscribe to the Healthier-U-Walk Newsletter