Easy Ways to Cut Calories
Deaconess Clinic Family Medicine
Most of us picked up a little extra fat around the middle over the holidays. Here are a few simple ways to eliminate those pounds:
- Eat off a smaller plate. People that ate from a 9 inch plate, ate 22% less food than those that used a 12 inch plate. You will not notice the difference.
- Serve your food with a tablespoon rather than a large serving spoon.
- Keep the main dish on the stove rather than putting it on the table.
- Store all snacks in small single-serving food storage bags rather than eating them from the larger bag.
- Eat a piece of fruit and a vegetable first at lunch and supper, then eat the entrée.
- Drink one large glass of water before each meal.
- Only eat desserts on the weekend.
- Weigh yourself weekly and write down the results.
- Eat three meals a day and no snacks.
- Always eat breakfast and try to incorporate some protein like eggs, beans, or a meat.
- Eat slower. It takes twenty minutes for your stomach to tell your brain it is full.
- Try to exercise at least 30 minutes a day – it will make you feel better, sleep better and makes you not want to eat unhealthy foods.
- Eat protein. It fills you up and stays with you longer so you do not get hungry as quickly.
- If you feel the urge to snack, grab some fresh vegetables for a quick snack. Low fat cheese or a few nuts also work well.
- Relax at mealtime. Put on soft jazz or classical music instead of the TV. Try to have conversations.
- Write your goal weight and your plan on how to get there on paper and post it prominently.
- Most importantly: Stop drinking ALL soft drinks. Just drink flavored water, or water with lemon or lime juice.