Our prenatal classes will help you prepare for baby's arrival. Registration is required, so be sure to sign up early in your pregnancy so you can choose a session that works best with your schedule. It is recommended that you complete your classes by the eighth month of pregnancy. This gives you time to:
- Attend every class even if baby comes early
- Practice what was learned in class
- Discuss what you learned in class with your health care provider
If you have questions, please call 812-842-4275. To register for classes, please visit the calendar
by clicking on the name of each class below.
*We reserve the right to reschedule classes or cancel classes due to low registration numbers. Please do not bring children to class.
From Pregnant to Parent (4-Week Series, Express, or Marathon Saturday)
Participants will receive
- An evidence-based childbirth book with links to online videos and pdf files
- Information on what to expect for labor and birth
- Medicated and unmedicated labor techniques
- Hands-on baby care training
- Anesthesiologist visit (if time allows)
- Breastfeeding & Beyond Class included in 4-week series, condensed version included in Marathon Saturday class
Class Cost: $40 per couple
Weeknight option includes four Thursday sessions (one per week)
Weekend options include one Saturday session 9 AM – 4 PM
*Sessions may be attended individually for $15/session. Please call 812-842-4275 for more information.
This class allows expectant parents who are interested in un-medicated, natural childbirth to learn the following:
- Understanding pain
- Breathing techniques
- Positions for pain management during labor
- Massage/Stretching techniques to help expectant moms with pain management
- Equipment and tools to aide in labor and delivery
- Hands-on experience for support person to assist during labor
Class participants will be sitting on the floor during part of this class. Please dress comfortably.
Birthing balls are available for use in class and for use while in labor.
Class Cost: $15 per couple
eLearn Childbirth Education
Learn at your own pace in the comfort of home. This class is appropriate for women wanting an epidural and women wanting natural childbirth. Participants will:
- Receive an evidence-based childbirth book by mail. Topics in the book include pregnancy, labor, comfort techniques and medical procedures.
- Have website access to video clips, checklists and interactive tools for six weeks
- Learn valuable newborn care and breastfeeding information
Class Cost: $15
Prenatal Yoga is exercise that encourages stretching, mental centering and focused breathing. Studies have suggested that prenatal yoga can improve sleep, reduce stress and anxiety, increase strength and flexibility needed for childbirth and decrease low back pain, nausea, carpel tunnel syndrome and headaches. Join our certified prenatal yoga instructor for a 6-week yoga session and see the benefits for yourself.
Class Cost: $60 for a 6-week session
Big Brother/Big Sister
This fun-themed class helps children 2-10 prepare for their new role as a big brother or big sister! A tour of a hospital room and fun, take-home items are included.
- Class topics include hand-washing and emotions (and much more!)
- Hands-on activities to help kids learn about their new role (ex. diaper changing)
Class Cost: $12 per child
Class Options: Evening class for 3-10 year olds (6-7:15 pm) and Day class for 2-4 year olds (10-11 am)
Breastfeeding & Beyond
Find out why breast milk is the ultimate source for infant nutrition. Fathers are strongly encouraged to attend. In this class you will learn:
- Signs of a good latch
- How to maintain an adequate milk supply
- How to avoid common problems
- How dads can help
- How to pump and store breast milk
This class is ideal for couples not enrolled in From Pregnant to Parent class, a repeat mother needing a refresher course, or a repeat mother breastfeeding for the first time.
We will show you a variety of breast pumps but please bring your own if you already have it.
Class Cost: $15 per couple
Pumping with Success
Learn the basics of how to pump and store milk. This class will help moms who are returning to work or school. May be taken before or after baby is born.
Class will discuss the safest and most effective way to pump and store breastmilk while away from your baby. We will review several techniques to ease the transition to work or school and help maximize your supply. A variety of pumps will be demonstrated in class but you may bring your own (if you have one).
This class is recommended for those who took From Pregnant to Parent Marathon or Express classes.
* Young infants are welcome to attend this class.
Class Cost: $10 per mom
Breastfeeding Simplified - Online Course
Are you unable to attend class, but would still like the information? Learn at your own pace in the comfort of home.
Topics include the importance of breastfeeding, signs of a good latch, maintaining adequate milk supply and how dads can help.
Participants have website access to video clips, checklists and interactive tools for six weeks
Class cost: $25 per person
This dad's only class is held in a relaxed environment and led by experienced fathers who will provide insight and suggestions to help Dad in his new role. Beer and appetizers are served during class.
- Preparing for baby
- How dad can help after baby arrives
- Hands on diapering and bathing practice
- Strengthening relationship after baby arrives
Class Cost: $15/dad
Weekday options offered quarterly
From Parent to Grandparent
This grandparent class helps provide updated information on safe sleep and car seat safety, as well as hospital policies and practices surrounding baby care, rooming-in and breastfeeding that grandparents need to know!
- Preparing for grandbaby
- Safe Sleep and Car Seat Safety
- Hospital tour (restrictions may apply)
Class Cost: $15/grandparent couple
Weekday options offered quarterly
Pediatric CPR for Family & Friends
Parents aren’t the only ones who need to know CPR. Emergencies can happen at grandma’s house or a play date. This class is designed for anyone caring for a child and teaches the latest CPR techniques endorsed by the American Heart Association.
Class size is limited and you may have to share a manikin with other students.
Class Cost: $15 per person
Fourth Monday of every month from 6-8 PM
Buckle Up! Infant Car Seat Safety
Keep your baby safe by learning about car seats and car seat safety. This hands-on course is taught by a certified car seat technician and appropriate for anyone who may be transporting your baby in a vehicle. Class size is small so everyone has plenty of individual instruction. Participants will:
- Learn the importance of car seat safety
- Discuss car seat components
- Explore proper car seat installation
Bring your car seat to class if you already have it.
Class cost: $10 per couple
One session only offered on Saturdays
Car Seat Fitting
If you need help installing your car seat or would feel better if someone made sure you installed it correctly, make an appointment for a car seat fitting.
The Women's Hospital is a permanent car seat fitting station. Our Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians conduct car seat fitting and checks once a week. There is no cost, but you must have an appointment. Please call 812-842-4655 or make an appointment now!
Participating in the installation is recommended and crawling in the back seat may be necessary. Appointments are encouraged before baby's birth. Car seats older than 6 years or those bought at garage sales or second-hand stores should not be used.
Program Length: 15 to 20 minutes
Do you have a middle school student interested in baby-sitting? Enroll them in a Safe Sitter class where they learn life-saving skills so they can be safe whether home alone or watching younger children.
The Safe Sitter curriculum is intended for kids in grades 6-8 and divided into 4 sections:
- Safety Skills - Students learn how to prevent unsafe situations and what to do when faced with dangers such as power failures or weather emergencies.
- Life & Business Skills - Through role-playing situations, students learn how to screen potential jobs, discuss fees, and greet employers. These skills will set them up for success now and in the future.
- Child Care Skills - Students learn tips to manage behavior that will help them stay in control of themselves and the children in their care. Students also learn the ages and stages of child development, as well as practice diapering.
- First Aid & Rescue Skills - Learning skills such as choking rescue and CPR is often students' favorite part of the class. They also learn a system to help them assess and respond to injuries and illnesses.
Class cost: $50 per student