Breastfeeding is a natural way to feed babies, and provides infants with nutrition that cannot be matched by formula. Many people are aware that breastfeeding has health benefits for baby; however, moms who choose to breastfeed their babies enjoy many long and short-term benefits as well.
Women Who Breastfeed
Breastfed Babies Also Benefit
- Reduce their risks for cancers
- Return to pre-pregnancy weight sooner
- Save money that they would have spent on formula
- Have a decreased risk for developing heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol
Newborns receive a variety of antibodies from their mother’s milk which provide benefits including:
- Fewer colds, ear infections and allergies
- Lower risk of SIDS
- Less colic
- Decreased risk for diabetes
- For the premature infant, breastmilk provides additional protection from potentially life-threatening conditions (necrotizing enterocolitis, sepsis and pneumonia).
The lactation consultants at The Women’s Hospital are there to support those mothers and help them reach their breastfeeding goals. Contact a consultant about any questions or concerns you have at 812-842-4239.