Maternity Care Practices for Mothers and Babies
The Women's Hospital was founded on the principles of family-centered care and we place a strong emphasis on evidence-based practices that improve the health of women and infants in our area.
Evidence-Based Maternity Care Practices
Evidence-based Maternity Care Practices show that human milk is the ideal way for human infants to be nourished and that mothers and babies should remain together to promote bonding. Scientific evidence shows lower risks for certain disease and improved health outcomes for breastfeeding mothers and babies. The Women's Hospital follows The World Health Organizations 10 Steps to Successful Breastfeeding.
Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
Impact on the Community
- Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all health care staff.
- Train all health care staff in the skills necessary to implement this policy.
- Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
- Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth.
- Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation, even if they are separated from their infants.
- Give infants no food or drink other than breast-milk, unless medically indicated.
- Practice rooming in – allow mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day.
- Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
- Give no pacifiers or artificial nipples to breastfeeding infants.
- Foster the establishment of breastfeeding support groups and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or birth center.
Our commitment to providing the best health outcomes for mothers and babies has led us to foster important community relationships and provide exceptional services surrounding breastfeeding and bonding. Some of the ways in which we have supported the community in this initiative include:
Skin to Skin
We're Better Together
Power of Touch
Ready, Set...Baby: Getting Your Newborn Off to a Great Start
- 24/7 inpatient lactation care, 7 days a week outpatient lactation care
- 24/7 access to Certified Lactation Consultants
- Snuggle Station for bonding, feeding and changing
- Mamava Lactation Pod at Ford Center
- cMoe Lactation Room
- Evansville Regional Airport Nursing Rooms
- Annual Breastfeeding Collaboration
- Partner with Southwest IN Breastfeeding Coalition