Neonatal Intenstive Care
Welcome to Our Level III NICU
Some infants require the special care that we provide in our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. If your infant requires special care, we will be honored to serve you during this difficult time.
We understand that your first visit to the NICU can be stressful. We hope the information provided on our Web site will prepare you for the things you will see and hear and, ultimately, help eliminate your fears. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask any staff member in the NICU. We look forward to getting to know you and will do whatever we can to make this experience as easy as possible.
The Women’s Hospital provides high-quality care through our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Many babies need special care due to prematurity or other conditions after birth. The Women’s Hospital NICU staff focuses on the key aspects of developmental care.
- Kangaroo care (skin-to-skin)
- The Sonicu System, protecting babies from bright lights and loud sounds
- Maintaining an environment that mimics the mothers womb
- Evaluation and treatment performed by occupational, physical and speech therapists
The team spirit of the entire NICU staff helps babies and families get home healthy, happy and as soon as possible. These professionals work together to provide comprehensive, state-of-the-art care for your baby.
Our family-centered team includes:
- Board-certified neonatologists
- Neonatal nurse practitioners
- Registered nurses
- Occupational therapists
- Respiratory therapists
- Physical therapists
- Speech therapists
- Lactation consultants Level II
- Social workers
- Transport Services—Trained staff use specialized equipment to transport babies from other facilities to The Women’s Hospital.
- Family Support Program—Dedicated staff work to keep the entire family involved and supported through their NICU journey. This program includes a
special focus for siblings of our NICU babies, a lending library, and education for all family members.
- Web Cam—The Women’s Hospital neonatal intensive care unit offers a web cam service, which provides an internet “virtual window” into the NICU. This web cam system is the first in Indiana and one of the first for a neonatal intensive care unit in the entire country. The web cam gives family members the opportunity to keep in contact with their baby and watch baby’s growth and development during their stay in the NICU.
For more information about our level III neonatal intensive care services, please call The Women’s Hospital at 812-842-4200.