Prior to Your Procedure Date
- Please verify with your doctor which medications you should or should not take the morning of surgery.
- If you are on blood thinners, ask your surgeon when they should be stopped.
- Herbal medications and weight-loss medications should be stopped 14 days before surgery.
- Call your insurance provider as soon as your procedure is scheduled. Complete all necessary insurance preauthorization.
- Plan for someone to drive you to and from the hospital and stay with you while at the hospital. For your safety, you WILL NOT be able to drive yourself home or take a cab or bus.
- Plan for someone to stay with you at home for at least 24 hours after your procedure.
- Please make arrangements for children to stay at home while you are at the hospital.
- DO NOT eat or drink anything after midnight before surgery, unless otherwise instructed. This includes water, chewing gum and mints. It is important to keep your stomach completely empty until after surgery.
- DO NOT drink alcohol 24 hours before surgery.
- Smoking can affect your recovery from surgery. It can slow healing of bones and wounds. Deaconess is a smoke-free campus, and you will not be allowed to smoke during your hospital stay.
- If you become ill (cold, flu, fever, diarrhea) or have a problem prior to your procedure, call your surgeon or the hospital at which your surgery is scheduled:
- Gateway Surgery—812-842-3646
- Main Campus Surgery—812-450-2200
Legal guardians or parents must sign consent forms for those under 18. If a patient is unable to sign, a legal guardian, family member or power-of-attorney may sign for the patient. We require updated copies of power-of-attorney documents. If the guardian cannot come on the day of the procedure, arrangements can be made in advance. We cannot proceed without the proper signature and documentation.
Same Day Care Center
- at Deaconess Hospital: 812/450-2200
- at Gateway Hospital: 812/842-3646