Deaconess Re-certified as Level 1 Primary Care Stroke Center
Following a two-day, on-site review of our hospitals, Deaconess Hospital and Deaconess Gateway Hospital were certified as Level 1 Primary Care Stroke Centers by the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP), a nationally recognized accreditation organization with deeming authority from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. This is the fourth certification for Deaconess Hospital and the first for Deaconess Gateway Hospital as its own, separate entity.
To achieve Level 1 Primary Stroke Center Certification, an organization must demonstrate capacity to stabilize and treat acute stroke patients. Achievement of certification at this level requires a strong commitment from the medical staff and administration of Deaconess Health System as well as implementation of Stroke Certification Standards as developed by the Brain Attack Coalition (BAC) and the American Heart Association / American Stroke Association (AHA/ASA).
Stroke Certification Standards include:
• 24-hour availability of a designated Acute Stroke Team, neurosurgical, imaging, laboratory, and radiology services.
• A highly trained Emergency Department experienced in diagnosing and treating strokes.
• Strong relationship with Emergency Medical Services (EMS).
• Written patient care protocols to streamline and accelerate diagnosis and treatment of stroke.
• Specialized stroke units in the hospital.
• Advanced nursing care and dedicated personnel for stroke units.
• 24-hour availability of tPA, the only medicine shown to improve stroke outcomes when given within the 3 hour window of stroke symptom onset.
• Quality improvement and performance protocols which include a registry for tracking patient treatments, timelines of treatments, and measures of patient outcomes.
• Stroke education for staff that treat stroke patients.
• Community education events that cover stroke prevention, the signs and symptoms of stroke, and when to call 911.
Deaconess is dedicated to providing the highest level of care for our community. Designation as a Primary Care Stroke Center is one more example of how we keep raising the bar for excellence in healthcare.