To all the new moms who are nursing your babies,
Congratulations! You have made the important decision to breastfeed, but what your baby needs most is a healthy mom. Adjusting to life with a new little one can be hectic, which is why you must remember to take care of yourself.
Tips for Taking Care of You and Your Baby While Breastfeeding:
• Eat a healthy diet with a wide variety of foods. It may help to eat five or six small meals a day.
• Drink eight glasses of fluid each day. Water, milk and juices are your best choices.
• Continue to take your prenatal vitamins every day. When you run out, you can take a multivitamin with iron.
• Ask a lactation consultant or physician before taking any medicine.
• Don’t try to lose weight while breastfeeding without help from a doctor or dietitian.
• Rest as much as you can. Take some time every day for yourself. Do something you enjoy.
• Join a breastfeeding support group or schedule playdates with other breastfeeding moms. Sharing your ideas
and concerns with other moms will be helpful.
• Don’t be afraid to ask for help from the baby’s father, family or friends.
For any information or to speak to an IBCLC at The Women's Hospital, please contact 812.842.4239. To view our website, please visit www.deaconess.com/lactation.