The Deaconess Diabetes Center is recognized by the American Diabetes Association and offers comprehensive self-management training in a group setting or individual consultations.
- Medicare and insurance reimbursement
- Classes address basic diabetes management, meal planning, stress and weight management, physical education and review
- Classes offered mornings, afternoons and evenings to accommodate patient work schedules
- Insulin pump training
- Monthly review classes
- A1C, blood pressure and weight checks at baseline, 3 month follow-up and 12 month follow-up
- Pre-diabetes class for patients diagnosed with metabolic syndrome or borderline diabetes
- Partnership with Deaconess Riley Children's Specialty Center to offer local diabetes support for Type I diabetes patients seen at the clinic
- Monthly physician fax with cutting edge information on treatment of diabetes
- Services available for patients with gestational diabetes
Medicare and Insurance Reimbursement
Medicare reimburses for Diabetes Self-Management Training (DSMT) when the services are furnished through a certified program that meets certain quality standards. The benefit is a one-time, 10-hour DSMT with two additional hours for follow-up training in subsequent years.
Medicare also provides three additional hours for Medical Nutrition Therapy. The DSMT must be provided primarily in a group setting. Individual consults may be provided when no group session is available within two months of the date training is ordered, or if the patient has special needs that warrant individual training.
The Deaconess Diabetes Physician Referral form
is designed to assure reimbursement from Medicare and other health insurance plans.