A Brief History of Deaconess
Founded in 1892 by a group of Protestant ministers and laymen, Deaconess is an acute care, teaching hospital, serving residents of Indiana, Southeastern Illinois and Western Kentucky. One of the largest hospitals in this region, Deaconess offers a broad range of inpatient and outpatient medical, surgical and diagnostic services.
Deaconess Family Medicine Residency
The Deaconess Family Medicine Residency Program was approved in 1975 by the Liaison Committee on Graduate Medical Education. Since 1979, the residency program has had continuous ACGME accreditation.
Dr. D.C. Buehner became the first program director in 1975 until his departure in 1978. Dr. Wallace M. Adye became the part-time program director in 1978, and then the full-time program director in 1985 upon moving his private practice to the Family Medicine Center. Dr. Kim Volz became the current Program Director upon Dr. Adye’s retirement in 1996.
The residency program moved to its current location in the Wallace M. Adye Center in 1997. The center was named to honor Dr. Wallace M. Adye and his devotion to graduate medical education in Evansville since the program’s inception in 1975.
Dr. Wallace Adye 1928-2013
Dr. Adye graduated from Indiana University School of Medicine in 1953. He completed his internship at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Dayton, Ohio, in 1954. From 1954 to 1956 he served in the United States Air Force attaining the rank of Captain as a Medical Officer. Subsequently he established his practice in Evansville. Dr Adye was a past Director-at-Large, past Vice Speaker, past Speaker, past Vice President, past President and past Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Indiana Academy of Family Physicians. He was also past President of both the Deaconess Hospital Medical Staff and the Vanderburgh County Medical Society. He was a Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians and he received the AAFP Achievement in Medicine Award for 42 years of dedication to Family Medicine.