Reduce Your Risk of Diabetes and Its Complications
If you have pre-diabetes, your body is already suffering the consequences of elevated blood sugar levels. Don't wait until you are diagnosed with diabetes to improve your health. Learn how you can make changes today.
What Is Pre-Diabetes?
Pre-diabetes is a condition in which the level of glucose (sugar) in the blood is higher than normal but not high enough to be considered diabetes. Individuals with pre-diabetes have a greater likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes.
Studies have shown that many people diagnosed with prediabetes can avoid diabetes through changes in eating habits, behavior and activity level, but most insurance companies will not cover the diabetes education necessary to help these people avoid an eventual diabetes diagnosis.
Deaconess developed its Pre-Diabetes Program as a low-cost educational program for which most people can afford to self-pay.
How Can this Program Help Me?
By following the behavior changes recommended in this program, you can reduce your likelihood of having a heart attack or stroke by up to 50%. You can delay or prevent type 2 diabetes and return your blood glucose levels to normal. And you will feel better about yourself as you make positive, healthy lifestyle choices.
What Information Is Covered in the Pre-Diabetes Program?
For a modest fee, you receive education on a variety of health-related topics, including:
- Overview & Behavior Change Defines diabetes and encourages you to take responsibility for your pre-diabetes self-management.
- Weight Management Establishes the connection between obesity and diabetes. Teaches proper lifestyle choices, eating habits, basic nutrition and goal setting.
- HyperlipidemiaDescribes the risk factors for cardiovascular disease and their connection to diet.
- Basic Nutrition Teaches healthy eating habits based on carbohydrates, fiber, protein and fats.
- Physical Activity Describes the benefits of physical activity, different types of activity you can perform and exercise precautions.
How Do I Enroll in the Program?
Anyone can enroll in the Deaconess Pre-Diabetes Program by calling us at 812-426-9894. If you have been tested and have a fasting blood glucose level between 100 and 126, or if your physician has diagnosed you with impaired glucose tolerance, hyperglycemia or metabolic syndrome, you may benefit from this program.
How Do I Get More Information About the Deaconess Pre-Diabetes Program?
You can reach us at 812/426-9894 or by fax at 812/426-6612. The Deaconess Diabetes Center is located at Deaconess Clinic Downtown at 421 Chestnut St, Evansville, IN.