Left Untreated, Diabetes Can Cause Serious Problems
Diabetes is a disease that can have serious effects on many parts of your body, sometimes permanently. It affects almost 17 million people in the United States, and more than 6 million don’t even know they have it. If left untreated, diabetes can lead to heart and kidney disease, amputations, blindness and other serious problems. Scientific research has proven that controlling blood sugar levels can reduce the long-term complications of diabetes. That's why we're here - to help you control your blood sugar levels and avoid these complications.
Long-term Complications of Diabetes
- Death - Diabetes is the sixth leading cause of death by disease in this country.
- Blindness - It causes 12,000 to 24,000 people to lose their sight each year.
- Amputation - It accounts for 56,000 leg and foot amputations each year.
- Kidney Failure - It is the leading cause of kidney failure.
- Cardiovascular Disease - It increases the chance of having heart disease or suffering a stroke by two to four times.