After Gastric Bypass Surgery
When you wake up after surgery
you will be in the recovery room. You will find a drain tube exiting from your abdominal wall and a drain in your bladder.
- After about one hour in recovery, you will move to your hospital room.
- That evening, the nurse will ask you to stand at the bedside and move to a chair.
- The next morning, you will have a contrast x-ray study. If this is okay, you will begin the full liquid diet.
- After about three days, we will remove the drains and discharge you from the hospital. You will receive a prescription for pain medication and an antacid as well as detailed discharge instructions.
- Seven to ten days after surgery, you will have your first follow-up visit with the surgeon and dietitian.
For more details about the post-surgery process, review the answers to our patients' most frequently asked questions.